Foreign Ownership of Properties

A foreign person who wishes to purchase a landed residential property is required to seek Government approval. A foreign person means any person who is not a –

  • Singapore citizen;
  • Singapore company;
  • Singapore limited liability partnership; or
  • Singapore society.

The ownership of such properties by foreigners is restricted to those who make adequate economic contribution to Singapore. The ownership restrictions are provided in the Residential Property Act.

You can apply online at Application forms which are not available in the e-Applications (Phase 1) can be downloaded here.

For more information on foreign ownership of residential properties, please refer to the FAQs.

You can also send us an email or contact us at LANDED PROPERTY :

Land Dealings Approval Unit Singapore Land Authority 55 Newton Road #12-01 Revenue House Singapore 307987 Tel: 6478-3444


What types of property must a foreign person seek approval to purchase?

  • Vacant residential land;
  • Terrace house;
  • Semi-detached house;
  • Bungalow/detached house;
  • Strata landed house which is not within an approved condominium development under the Planning Act (eg. townhouse or cluster house);
  • Shophouse (for non-commercial use);
  • Association premises;
  • Place of worship; and
  • Worker’s dormitory/service apartments/boarding house (not registered under the provisions of the Hotels Act).

What types of property can a foreign person purchase without approval?

  • Condominium unit;
  • Flat unit;
  • Strata landed house in an approved condominium development;
  • A leasehold estate in a landed residential property for a term not exceeding 7 years, including any further term which may be granted by way of an option for renewal;
  • Shophouse (for commercial use);
  • Industrial and commercial properties;
  • Hotel (registered under the provisions of the Hotels Act); and
  • Executive condominium unit, HDB flat and HDB shophouse.